Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: General Questions Thread
Ginga Board > Community board > Ginga Densetsu Weed
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Arano
Here you can ask any question you like about GDW, and hopefully you'll get an answer from someone!

Can I ask as many questions as I want?
There's no limit to how many questions you can ask, but please remember that the double-posting rule still applies.

If you are going to answer a question:
Please remember to quote their post in your reply if possible.

What if someone's asked a question that's been answered before?
It doesn't matter - you can answer it again or you can quote the previous answer for them.
inumofu
Figured I may as well be the first person to ask something here. smile.gif

What is the origin of Jouji / 譲二 / George's name? Where does he come from? Is it Japanese that just happens to sound like George?

And an aside: what chapter / volume is he introduced in?
Kouenki
Was it ever stated how Sniper/Murder S got his injuries?
Troll Berserker
QUOTE (Kouenki @ Mar 14 2016, 09:36 AM) *

At the end of GNG he tried to drown Ben, but he was stoped by Hyena and thrown into the river himself. It's stated that his injuries are caused by being crushed by the stones in the river.
Yuriko
QUOTE (inumofu @ Mar 14 2016, 01:04 AM) *
And an aside: what chapter / volume is he introduced in?

The first appearance of George is in volume 8, chapter 5.
Digsu
QUOTE (inumofu @ Mar 14 2016, 02:04 AM) *
Figured I may as well be the first person to ask something here. smile.gif

What is the origin of Jouji / 譲二 / George's name? Where does he come from? Is it Japanese that just happens to sound like George?
According to Jisho, the definitions of 譲 are 'defer, turnover, transfer, convey,' while 二 simply means 'two,' referring to him being the second-born child.

'Jouji' just happens to be phonetically similar to 'George,' and a quick Google search reveals that using the latter in place of the former sometimes happens with real life people as well.
methpring
QUOTE (Kouenki @ Mar 14 2016, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE (Sakujo @ Mar 14 2016, 11:18 AM) *
At the end of GNG he tried to drown Ben, but he was stoped by Hyena and thrown into the river himself. It's stated that his injuries are caused by being crushed by the stones in the river.

In WEED volume 11 pages 180-181 are two pictures that show boulders hitting Sniper/Murder S underwater.
inumofu
QUOTE (Yuriko @ Mar 14 2016, 06:08 AM) *
The first appearance of George is in volume 8, chapter 5.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Digsu @ Mar 14 2016, 07:42 AM) *
According to Jisho, the definitions of 譲 are 'defer, turnover, transfer, convey,' while 二 simply means 'two,' referring to him being the second-born child.

'Jouji' just happens to be phonetically similar to 'George,' and a quick Google search reveals that using the latter in place of the former sometimes happens with real life people as well.

Thank you. I knew this happened, but I wasn't sure if it was Takahashi-sensei being sly... I've seen it happen with a few other characters in manga, where they have a Western-origin name but they write it in kanji because... it's cool, I guess? Looking at you, A Certain Magical Index series. So I wanted to make sure.
KremlinJill
What volume does the Russian arc start in?
Kasi
QUOTE (KremlinJill @ Apr 2 2016, 08:36 AM) *
What volume does the Russian arc start in?

Volume 37.
But if you consider Koyuki's introduction as part of the arc, it starts midway in volume 35, nothing about the Russian War dogs is seen for that volume and a half though.
KremlinJill
QUOTE (Kasi @ Apr 1 2016, 10:17 PM) *
Volume 37.
But if you consider Koyuki's introduction as part of the arc, it starts midway in volume 35, nothing about the Russian War dogs is seen for that volume and a half though.

Thanks!
What about the ape arc? I heard it was in vol 31...?
methpring
QUOTE (KremlinJill @ Apr 3 2016, 01:50 AM) *
Thanks!
What about the ape arc? I heard it was in vol 31...?

Ape arc begins in 3rd chapter if volume 30, and ends in 6th chapter of volume 35.
Wilson
What about the Hybrid bear arc
Shiruba
QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 4 2016, 07:11 PM) *

Either volume 51 or 52 I believe. Ends in volume 59 (sort of) because the last volume is more the army getting back together and finishing the story.
methpring
QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 4 2016, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE (Shiruba @ Apr 4 2016, 09:54 PM) *
Either volume 51 or 52 I believe. Ends in volume 59 (sort of) because the last volume is more the army getting back together and finishing the story.

There are hints for hybrid arc in volume 51, like Joe's first appearance, but it really starts in volume 52. And yes, volume 60 is mostly tying knots together, but it still contains some major plot points.
Troll Berserker
Is any member of Kyoshiro's familly named?

Why Russian dogs attacked Hokkaido exactly? Were they just expanding teritory?
Yuriko
QUOTE (Sakujo @ Apr 11 2016, 06:51 PM) *
Is any member of Kyoshiro's familly named?

Why Russian dogs attacked Hokkaido exactly? Were they just expanding teritory?

Kyoshiro's elder brother is Fuyuto but other brothers, his mom and dad are nameless.

The Russian dogs attacked Hokkaido because they wanted to move there. Sahalin, where they live, was a very infertile area and there was barely any prey for the dogs.
Shiruba
QUOTE (Yuriko @ Apr 11 2016, 05:04 PM) *
Kyoshiro's elder brother is Fuyuto but other brothers, his mom and dad are nameless.

The Russian dogs attacked Hokkaido because they wanted to move there. Sahalin, where they live, was a very infertile area and there was barely any prey for the dogs.

if memory serves me right, the Russian dogs got kicked out the military into the frozen wilderness which sparked off the needed invasion.
Wilson
QUOTE (methpring @ Apr 5 2016, 05:37 AM) *
There are hints for hybrid arc in volume 51, like Joe's first appearance, but it really starts in volume 52. And yes, volume 60 is mostly tying knots together, but it still contains some major plot points.

Thanks guys
Yuriko
QUOTE (Shiruba @ Apr 11 2016, 11:03 PM) *
if memory serves me right, the Russian dogs got kicked out the military into the frozen wilderness which sparked off the needed invasion.

Yes, the humans left them into the wilderness, in Sahalin. But they attacked Hokkaido because Sahalin was too infertile area and there wasn't enough prey. After they defeated Victor, Maxim and few other Russian dogs swam back to Sahalin and Maxim lied to his father that Hokkaido was a bare land with no prey and that they should just live in Sahalin.
Urufuma
QUOTE (Yuriko @ Apr 11 2016, 06:08 PM) *
Yes, the humans left them into the wilderness, in Sahalin. But they attacked Hokkaido because Sahalin was too infertile area and there wasn't enough prey. After they defeated Victor, Maxim and few other Russian dogs swam back to Sahalin and Maxim lied to his father that Hokkaido was a bare land with no prey and that they should just live in Sahalin.

Why did he have to lie though? While Victor was fine with slaughtering everyone in order to take the land, I was under the impression Maxim and his father weren't like that? So why couldn't they try to immigrate/coexist?
Yuriko
QUOTE (Urufuma @ Apr 12 2016, 01:41 AM) *
Why did he have to lie though? While Victor was fine with slaughtering everyone in order to take the land, I was under the impression Maxim and his father weren't like that? So why couldn't they try to immigrate/coexist?

Maxim learned that nobody can't take someone else's paradise, they have to build it by they own. Also I think he lied to his father because then his father wouldn't march back to Hokkaido and take their lands. And the Russian dogs would have had to swim to Hokkaido and elders, puppies and some females wouldn't be able to survive from that journey.

Here is a rough translation from Maxim's thoughts after he got back to Sahalin:
"Here is only elders, females and puppies left. Even so we have to make this place as our home. We'll take care of our elder ones and let puppies grow up. We'll make this frozen land as a paradise. They who are seeking for the paradise have to make it by themselves. That's what I learned from Weed and Ou's army. The fortune is not only with those who are living wealthy. Those who have a rich mind can live in harmony with others even if their land wasn't so fertile. Right, Weed?"
Troll Berserker
QUOTE (Yuriko @ Apr 11 2016, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE (Shiruba @ Apr 11 2016, 10:03 PM) *

Thanks for the answers smile.gif I never thought of Russian Dogs arc as particulary interesting, but this makes me want to catch up with it wink.gif

Another stupid question (sorry, I'm just not up-to-date with manga plots):

Is there any relation between Victor, Alam and Maxime except they were all in the army?
Digsu
QUOTE (Sakujo @ Apr 12 2016, 07:03 PM) *
Is there any relation between Victor, Alam and Maxime except they were all in the army?
Nope. As far as we know they're completely unrelated to each other aside from belonging to the same army.
Kasi
QUOTE (Yuriko @ Apr 12 2016, 09:03 PM) *
Maxim learned that nobody can't take someone else's paradise, they have to build it by they own. Also I think he lied to his father because then his father wouldn't march back to Hokkaido and take their lands. And the Russian dogs would have had to swim to Hokkaido and elders, puppies and some females wouldn't be able to survive from that journey.

Here is a rough translation from Maxim's thoughts after he got back to Sahalin:
"Here is only elders, females and puppies left. Even so we have to make this place as our home. We'll take care of our elder ones and let puppies grow up. We'll make this frozen land as a paradise. They who are seeking for the paradise have to make it by themselves. That's what I learned from Weed and Ou's army. The fortune is not only with those who are living wealthy. Those who have a rich mind can live in harmony with others even if their land wasn't so fertile. Right, Weed?"

Sounds like a nice ending. Thanks for the translation!
Fayt
How many scars does Kyoshiro? and if anyone has a good set of refs for them all that would be great smile.gif
Troll Berserker
QUOTE (darkpheonixchild @ Apr 21 2016, 09:51 AM) *
How many scars does Kyoshiro? and if anyone has a good set of refs for them all that would be great smile.gif

Here you go - http://smg.photobucket.com/user/va-kasi/me...oSetti.jpg.html
Chani
QUOTE (darkpheonixchild @ Apr 21 2016, 09:51 AM) *

Kyoushirou used to have two scars on his forehead and a third scar moving across the two scars on his left cheek (from Lecter), but they later faded and are not part of his current design.

Currently, he has one scar on his back, one on his tail, one on each leg, two on his chest (one on each side), one on his right cheek, one on the right side of his forehead, one across his face, two on his left cheek and one on his left ear.

Here's the accurate pic (the anime one doesn't seem very accurate): http://wiki.hopeanuoli.com/index.php?title...osto:Kyoshi.jpg
Fayt
Thank you both very much the info is very helpful for me since a few image I was looking seemed a little different each time (can't be helped and I can see why) smile.gif
Smith
Did anyone tell Gin that Smith died in the manga
Digsu
QUOTE (Smith @ May 2 2016, 01:42 AM) *
Did anyone tell Gin that Smith died in the manga
While we never see anyone telling Gin about Smith's death, Smith's ghost (alongside John's) appears to Gin to inspire him to run away from Hougen's prison. So he knows he's dead, at least.

Shiruba
QUOTE (Digsu @ May 2 2016, 12:01 AM) *
While we never see anyone telling Gin about Smith's death, Smith's ghost (alongside John's) appears to Gin to inspire him to run away from Hougen's prison. So he knows he's dead, at least.

On that note, is it ever explained why Smith's ghost has two legs one minute and only one the next? If I remember well, in the final fight he only has one leg. I might be mistaken though.
Digsu
QUOTE (Shiruba @ May 2 2016, 07:55 PM) *
On that note, is it ever explained why Smith's ghost has two legs one minute and only one the next? If I remember well, in the final fight he only has one leg. I might be mistaken though.
He does have four legs when Gin sees him and three when he shows up in the final battle.

It's never explained and can probably just be chalked up as a mistake. However, it's probably worth noting that John and Smith appearing before Gin is treated kind of ambiguously, and it's not entirely clear if it's actually the ghosts of the two or if Gin is just hallucinating or even if it's some kind of a weird combination of the two. If it's just Gin hallucinating, Smith obviously would have all his legs intact as Gin never knew he lost one of his legs, though it's doubtful that it was entirely Gin just seeing things as he didn't even know that Smith was dead at the time.

Wilson
Did the villains become incredibly overpowered or did skilled fighters such as Tesshin and Hiro lose all of their abilities
Digsu
QUOTE (Wilson @ May 3 2016, 12:21 AM) *
Did the villains become incredibly overpowered or did skilled fighters such as Tesshin and Hiro lose all of their abilities
Ginga just abides to the age-old concept that TVTropes calls the Sorting Algorithm of Evil: "Villains will appear in strictly ascending order by menace." No one is getting weaker, the villains just keep getting more threatening the further along we go: first we have a single powerful, mutated dog, then a powerful normal dog backed up by a handful of other powerful dogs and an army of weak, unskilled dogs, then a giant monkey with a massive axe backed up by other apes, then an entire army of powerful, skilled dogs, and finally a couple of giant, unusually mean and resilient superbears.
Wilson
QUOTE (Digsu @ May 2 2016, 10:33 PM) *
Ginga just abides to the age-old concept that TVTropes calls the Sorting Algorithm of Evil: "Villains will appear in strictly ascending order by menace." No one is getting weaker, the villains just keep getting more threatening the further along we go: first we have a single powerful, mutated dog, then a powerful normal dog backed up by a handful of other powerful dogs and an army of weak, unskilled dogs, then a giant monkey with a massive axe backed up by other apes, then an entire army of powerful, skilled dogs, and finally a couple of giant, unusually mean and resilient superbears.

Thx digsu
Troll Berserker
I think Hyena appeared in Sniper's flashback in GDW manga. Was it confirmed that he died in the river?
Shiruba
QUOTE (Sakujo @ May 4 2016, 10:21 AM) *
I think Hyena appeared in Sniper's flashback in GDW manga. Was it confirmed that he died in the river?

I think in GNG we never saw his death. In GDW we saw the full story and Sniper slit his stomach open under the water as punishment for being a traitor, killing him. That was the last we saw of him.
Troll Berserker
QUOTE (Shiruba @ May 4 2016, 11:27 AM) *
I think in GNG we never saw his death. In GDW we saw the full story and Sniper slit his stomach open under the water as punishment for being a traitor, killing him. That was the last we saw of him.

Oh, thanks. Well in Meteor Gin it said that he might have survived, but now GDW made it clear that he didn't xD
Digsu
QUOTE (Sakujo @ May 4 2016, 12:40 PM) *
Oh, thanks. Well in Meteor Gin it said that he might have survived, but now GDW made it clear that he didn't xD
Unless I'm mistaken, Meteor Gin was released before Hyena's death was shown in GDW. It's possible that Yoshi didn't want to spoil Hyena's real fate, or he wasn't even sure what to do with him when Meteor Gin came out.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about Meteor Gin coming out first, though.
Urufuma
QUOTE (Shiruba @ May 4 2016, 05:27 AM) *

If you look in the manga pages featuring the ghosts you can spot Hyena somewhere in the group shot. But I think it's just a cameo.
Digsu
Hyena also has a cameo as one of the dogs welcoming Moss to the afterlife.

dogku
what breed of dog is tesshin? if he is a shikoku, how does he have dapples on his cheeks/body?
Digsu
QUOTE (chiaotzus @ May 4 2016, 07:15 PM) *
what breed of dog is tesshin? if he is a shikoku, how does he have dapples on his cheeks/body?
The Kogas have been confirmed to be of a made-up breed.
dogku
why do you think weed was given the task of leader by gin on the spot? what qualities did he see in him?
Digsu
QUOTE (chiaotzus @ May 4 2016, 10:06 PM) *
why do you think weed was given the task of leader by gin on the spot? what qualities did he see in him?
The long answer: At least in the manga Gin says that Weed "passed the test" when he opposed Hougen's execution, implying that Gin only pretended to kill Hougen to see if Weed would react in the way he should. Weed had also gathered a small army on his own and beaten Hougen in single combat, which Gin probably saw as grounds for passing his title on to Weed. Also, given Gin's age and Kurotora remarking that "looks like you weren't terribly attached to your title," it's possible that Gin also felt like it was time for him to retire from the position of the Supreme Commander anyway.
Troll Berserker
A merchadise question - Do Jerome's helpers (Ryo, Ryu, Heita, Hanji) have their own anime studio sheet?
Digsu
QUOTE (Sakujo @ Jun 7 2016, 09:13 AM) *
A merchadise question - Do Jerome's helpers (Ryo, Ryu, Heita, Hanji) have their own anime studio sheet?
By all logic, they should, as Studio Deen appears to have made studio sheets for just about every character who appears in the anime (I mean, they made sheets for freaking Gohei and Akakabuto). Whether it's available in some form these days is another matter entirely, of course.
KremlinJill
In Kamaki/Hiro ominibus (no idea oringal vomule) what exactly happened to Rikiya and why did he chose to protect Rocket?
Kasi
QUOTE (Sakujo @ Jun 7 2016, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE (Digsu @ Jun 7 2016, 06:28 PM) *
By all logic, they should, as Studio Deen appears to have made studio sheets for just about every character who appears in the anime (I mean, they made sheets for freaking Gohei and Akakabuto). Whether it's available in some form these days is another matter entirely, of course.

They certainly would, since the purpose of the model sheets is to have a style guide for every character that ever appears in the anime, that even includes minor characters such as the puppies and reoccurring background characters.
I have never seen a picture of it though. Some of the rarer sheets are very hard to find since the chances they were photocopied much (in-house and out) is much smaller.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.