Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A GDW Translation Team
Ginga Board > Community board > Ginga Densetsu Weed
Smokesick
Hello everyone!

Before I begin I need to say that I know there are many other teams working on translating the manga. I know this may seem to be the "yet another GDW Team", but it is not, so I will try to justify myself to be distinct from the others ones.

I will link you to another thread I made on a similar website to this (Ginga Scans) where I elaborately wrote about my wish to work on a current or entirely found a new team to translate the manga, so here it is: http://gingatest.proboards.com/thread/399/...ranslation-team

Firstly, I will answer a few questions I might get asked regarding this thread and my overall reasoning as to why I'm trying to do this in the first place:

Q: Why try to found a new team if there are "n amount" of teams working on it already?

A: The key to my answer lies in the word "work" in the question above. I know there are many teams out there, but how many of them work? Many have been ditched and work has frozen almost instantly. Why, I am not sure, but the few most common reasons are lack of interest, inability to organize the team, lack of quality workers and deviance from the initial project.

Q: But there still ARE teams that work?

A: True, there are some I myself found out about, but that still doesn't stop me from wanting to do something about it myself. I think it will be fun and for 2+ years I've been wanting to read GDW in English. I never got the chance to trust someone who is working on the manga consistently, so that I can get past Volume 3. I have the desire to work on it myself with a translator as I have time and skills but just don't know Japanese/Finnish/Whatever.

Q: How are you so sure this team will work out as you planned?

A: Thing is, I'm not. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I have some experience in working with online teams. I believe that if the proper members get inside, with a stress-free and comfortable routine we will be able to consistently work on the project. And then again, even if it is to not work out, it may give way to foundries that could later be worked on to continue the progress. Another plus to mention is that the more teams there are, the higher the chance there is for a team to actually come out successful. Different people work with different approaches and therefore some plans should theoretically work out.

Q: Why work on GDW and not the more important GNG manga?

A: Because GNG is currently being worked on by a team from Ginga Scans and there is no reason to do this parallel to their work. This sounds paradoxical to my earlier statement that the more teams, the better, but the thing is the other team is successful and there is no need to work on current WIP Projects. The thing with GDW is that there is no stable team working on it YET, but this is only the conclusion I came to as in reality it may be different. Successful ones have other plans for other series besides GDW.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask them here and I will include them in the thread to provide healthier information.

Regarding qualities, I can pretty much do anything on the computer, would it be graphics, motion, sounds and etc. Of utmost importance would be working with Photoshop to edit scans and text, managing files, upload and download and similar. Maybe a forum? English-wise, I've acquired several high-level certificates and I can use my skills to ameliorate the English language elements in translations to provide a more accurate manga translation. Of course, if there is a second person to work with and check for mistakes and search for better words and phrases, the translation would be even more accurate.

IF serious members are found, I (we) will further work on founding and organizing the team, which includes fitting to a stress-free routine, forum creation, team coordination and other productivity-wise planning. Please share your opinion as it is indispensable in fixing persisting issues and if you think this could be a good team to work on, spreading the word with friends will provide an even greater chance of finding solid members to work with in the team.

To contact me you can write to the following e-mail: Smokey_Coms@yahoo.com or my Twitter: @SmokeyFluffs , though i prefer through e-mail for better organization on my side.

Cheers!

P.S. I know I made an Introduction a long time ago here and I can certainly say that it has changed a lot. My style has completely altered, so you happen to read what I posted 3 years ago, remember that it is full of inaccuracies.

Edit: Because I wrote this thread on a mobile device I had issues formatting the post properly, so edits were to fix the layout.
Arano
If you look in the recent topics in this forum you'll find there is a team working on it already and we hope to be successful with it (:
Tsudog has successfully translated volumes 1 to 3 and is soon moving onto volume 4. I'm the computer-monkey doing the cleaning and type setting, I'm almost done with volume 1 which once checked will be posted here for people to read ^^ when that happens (I'm aiming for at the very least for it to be available the first half of September) it would be nice to see your input on how well we did with the English text!

Have to say it's nice to see a sudden insterest in GDW, as you say the go to translation would be GNG as it's more popular. I love Ginga Scans translations of it so far and I hope they will be the first team to scanlate the 18 volumes in it's entirety.

GDW is somewhat of a Herculean task in comparison, I wonder how far Tsudog and I can get by the end of this year XD
Smokesick
QUOTE (Arano @ Aug 27 2014, 12:13 AM) *
If you look in the recent topics in this forum you'll find there is a team working on it already and we hope to be successful with it (:
Tsudog has successfully translated volumes 1 to 3 and is soon moving onto volume 4. I'm the computer-monkey doing the cleaning and type setting, I'm almost done with volume 1 which once checked will be posted here for people to read ^^ when that happens (I'm aiming for at the very least for it to be available the first half of September) it would be nice to see your input on how well we did with the English text!

Have to say it's nice to see a sudden insterest in GDW, as you say the go to translation would be GNG as it's more popular. I love Ginga Scans translations of it so far and I hope they will be the first team to scanlate the 18 volumes in it's entirety.

GDW is somewhat of a Herculean task in comparison, I wonder how far Tsudog and I can get by the end of this year XD

I certainly noticed you and Tsudog's work on the project! In fact, I thought about asking Tsudog or you if I could get a sample of your raw scans to compare them to what I currently have, but there's no rush for that as I am not at home anyways, where my computer is. Indeed GDW is a bit ignored for now due to the ongoing hustle and bustle over GNG and its translation, but what matters the most is the final outcome of the projects and I believe you are doing a great job so far!

Now, when I read through my post again I seem to have omitted some elaboration over the fact that while I am trying to found a new team, I am also willing to assist current ones in the project because of the fact that I know I'm a serious member and am pretty certain that I would be a great asset, considering the qualities I believe I possess. The sole reason I want to do that is to help out other fellow members and actually "be part of it all" to pick up the pace of the projects, instead of waiting in my seat for an indefinite amount of time. I just like to work on the things I love and translation is the only way through which I'll be able to eventually read the manga, so why not try contributing to this idea? Besides, I will be helping the community in one way or another, which I find thrilling!

But anyways, I don't want to butt in, so I'll just go on until something comes up biggrin.gif

P.S. i will make sure to check out the released volumes you have when I come home. Can't wait to see how you are advancing!
Tsudog
QUOTE (Smokesick @ Aug 27 2014, 10:39 AM) *
I thought about asking Tsudog or you if I could get a sample of your raw scans to compare them to what I currently have

I got mine from the Japanese Kindle release of GDW - and they are absolutely perfect, spotless and cleaned up professionally, you can just tell. There's no more clone brush like you have to use to clean up scans - these things are stark white in the spots where white is meant to be, so an eraser brush is all it takes.

Good job Kindle, Japan!
Unfortunately you cannot buy them with a US / EU Kindle, even with a Japanese account. THEY KNOW sad.gif .. Somehow.
Take a look in my Tsudog samples thread to see the quality of the ones I have (and those are downsized about 80%.)

If there's any way you can help Arano or help us with the translation in general than I'm sure the team would be greater expanded - I'm in a hurry so I didn't read your full post - my apologies! I'm good to translate by myself but those pesky puns always give due cause for a translation buddy. (Curse you, Hiro.)
Smokesick
QUOTE (Tsudog @ Sep 6 2014, 01:17 AM) *
I got mine from the Japanese Kindle release of GDW - and they are absolutely perfect, spotless and cleaned up professionally, you can just tell. There's no more clone brush like you have to use to clean up scans - these things are stark white in the spots where white is meant to be, so an eraser brush is all it takes.

Good job Kindle, Japan!
Unfortunately you cannot buy them with a US / EU Kindle, even with a Japanese account. THEY KNOW sad.gif .. Somehow.
Take a look in my Tsudog samples thread to see the quality of the ones I have (and those are downsized about 80%.)

If there's any way you can help Arano or help us with the translation in general than I'm sure the team would be greater expanded - I'm in a hurry so I didn't read your full post - my apologies! I'm good to translate by myself but those pesky puns always give due cause for a translation buddy. (Curse you, Hiro.)

No need to worry about the rush thing you mentioned about! I will probably speak up in the near future about it if I mange to plan things out myself as how things can go and will surely update you regarding that. On a side note, it's good to hear about the release. I've come across on other forums about the releases in general (not just GDW) and they have been staggeringly clean, like never before! In that case I'm pretty sure how it may look like and am already hyped about how it will look like in the end! smile.gif
Other than that, feel free to drop by at any point or if you have anything you want to speak of. If by any chance I manage to find a co-translator for you around my friends, contacts and whatsoever, I'll be sure to link you if they are up for the job. Have got a bunch here and there, so let's hope for the best!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.