Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victor & co: not GSD's?
Ginga Board > Community board > Ginga Densetsu Weed
Pariah
I was reading up on dog breeds and I stumbled across the page of the East-European Shepherd. I read a little bit and noticed there are several similarities between this breed and the Russian dogs from GDW. To quote:

The East European Shepherd—also called the Owczarek Wschodnioeuropejski and Vostochnoevropejskaya Ovcharka (EES)—is a breed of dog that was created by cross-breeding original German Shepherd Dogs with Husky types of Russian origin in the 1930s to enable the resulting litter to be resistant to extreme cold. These dogs were bred initially for military use; the dogs were bred specifically for their intelligence.

Intelligent Russian military dogs? Hmmm...

The acceptable colors for these dogs include saddled (that can be saturated to give an almost black-and-tan or black-and-red appearance), blanket-back black and tan, solid black, and solid liver. Some rare colors include: blue (saddle, blanket-back, and solid), silver, and solid white.

Blue/silver shepherds? Familiar?

The head of an East-European Shepherd is of a 'wolfish' appearance, resting on a long neck in rather massive collar fur;

Wolfish head? Thick collar fur?

So what do you think? victor.gif
Frozenstar
I don't know about any information specifically given in the manga, but I think this is a plausible theory!

victor.gif bozlef.gif maxime.gif lydia.gif alam.gif
Blue Horse
They're GSDs. It says in the series. I can't find any links now but i'm sure someone else will pull something up.
Frozenstar
QUOTE (Blue Horse @ Jun 21 2013, 11:27 PM) *
They're GSDs. It says in the series. I can't find any links now but i'm sure someone else will pull something up.

Even so, it's very interesting how well the description fits them! ^^
ZackThePuppy
That sounds a bit plausible, considering the Russian dogs' heads had kind of a different build than John and Jerome' s. Though blue is also a coat color found in GSDs.
Rusty
Oooo how interesting~

I like the theory you got here. I think it's very plausible.
Tora
Hmm... IN the manga it only says that they're Shepherds, not preciley German Shepherd. Even though GSD is what you come to think of.
So you got a point there Pariah. ^^
Blue Horse
QUOTE (Tora @ Jun 22 2013, 05:31 AM) *
Hmm... IN the manga it only says that they're Shepherds, not preciley German Shepherd. Even though GSD is what you come to think of.
So you got a point there Pariah. ^^

I never really noticed a head difference.
Frozenstar
QUOTE (Blue Horse @ Jun 22 2013, 12:12 PM) *
I never really noticed a head difference.

If you're referring to the "wolflike" heads, EESs don't look too different from GSDs. Takahashi's style in the Russian Dog Arc definitely became sharper, almost reminiscent of the Wolf Arc in GNG, but that is probably just a coincidence. It's not as if his style is defined enough that you could tell the difference between two very similar dog breeds.
littlekitsune1
Hm... I doubt Yoshi knows about such an obscure breed, but considering the manga only calls them "Shepherds" I think it's perfectly plausible to refer to them as whatever you want. =)
Pariah
QUOTE (littlekitsune1 @ Jun 22 2013, 01:36 PM) *
Hm... I doubt Yoshi knows about such an obscure breed, but considering the manga only calls them "Shepherds" I think it's perfectly plausible to refer to them as whatever you want. =)

Yeah... Yoshi really isn't the most well-versed in dog knowledge X)
Blue Horse
QUOTE (Frozenstar @ Jun 22 2013, 12:00 PM) *
If you're referring to the "wolflike" heads, EESs don't look too different from GSDs. Takahashi's style in the Russian Dog Arc definitely became sharper, almost reminiscent of the Wolf Arc in GNG, but that is probably just a coincidence. It's not as if his style is defined enough that you could tell the difference between two very similar dog breeds.

They both have wolf like heads, so I didn't really noticed a difference. They have GSD markings though, and most artist of dog shows and stuff - if it has GSD markings, it's a GSD. German Sheps are one of the most popular breeds and most artist rather use a shep character then a look a like of the breed.
Frozenstar
QUOTE (Blue Horse @ Jun 22 2013, 07:40 PM) *
They both have wolf like heads, so I didn't really noticed a difference. They have GSD markings though, and most artist of dog shows and stuff - if it has GSD markings, it's a GSD. German Sheps are one of the most popular breeds and most artist rather use a shep character then a look a like of the breed.

The thing is, though- EESs are not so much a look-a-like as they are practically the same breed. Case in point:

Some of those are EES, some are GSD. The difference is negligible. The real point is that the Russian breed has an actual, historical basis in the military, exactly as the dogs in GDW do. So, either Yoshi actually did his research (which, if his ninja-obsession says anything, he does do sometimes), or the dogs don't make any sense.
Blue
This is defiantly possible. Lydia is the only blue shepherd I've ever seen in the series, but GSDs do come in blue as well, but it's more of a grayish color. But yes, John and Jerome's heads are different from those of the Russian Army Dogs. John and Jerome's are more smooth and rounded while the RA Dogs' heads are more fluffy and a little more wolf-like.

Maybe they could be part wolf?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.